Friday, September 21, 2012

008 Voltes V - ボルテスV

Another poster from The Philippines, circa 1978. This is Voltes V (or Super Electromagnetic Machine Voltes Five or 超電磁マシーン ボルテスV), and the first of two posters I have of this venerable mecha. 
 
This one is in good condition, but like the Aphrodite A poster, it's bothered me since day one.The "horizon" lines for the Z axis are all over the place. The vanishing points for the X and Y axis are also off, but...well...it's just a mess, really. The artist obviously used a straight edge of some sort in the creation of this art, so it's always bothered me that s/he didn't bother to work out the vanishing point. Other than that, I love the choice to go duotone, the display of tech, and the whole maintenance bay theme.

 The lattice work inside the chest piece was always a bit bothersome, too. It's a real challenge to the imagination to figure out how this internal structure could allow for the elongating sword. But the faults I've listed are just nagging annoyances in what is otherwise a joy to my eyes and heart. It brings back memories of drawing Voltes V in chalk on the street outside my family's house in Manilla.

Sold for $100.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    How much are the 3 robot posters. Do you have a paypal account? Kindly contact me at monumento.artstudio@yahoo.com.

    Thanks,

    Sajid

    ReplyDelete