Monday, September 17, 2012

007 Empire Strikes Back Sketchbook (1980)

So, my mom, my godmother, and I were in Columbia Mall in 1980, and I saw this book. I asked my mom to buy it, but she refused. As we continued shopping, my godmother conspiratorially leaned into me, handing me $20: "Don't tell your mother. You go buy that book."


Published in 1980, this book contains lots of cool examples of design progression. As a budding artist, it was my invaluable first example of how ideas can change over time, and how your first rendering of a concept isn't always your best (and in some cases, what ends up as the final product isn't as cool as some of the preliminary ideas). For example, I prefer the helmet on this snow trooper. 

And this snow speeder looks like what eventually became the A-Wing fighter. I guess another example of how even an initially unused idea can be recycled into future creative efforts. The snow speeder that ended up on film was my favorite of all the ship designs in the Star Wars saga, but this is a close second.
Wait! I lied. The Slave I was my favorite...until I found out it didn't fly in the same way that it docked (I've rotated the picture to how I thought it would fly). Rumored(?) to be based upon the shape of a streetlamp, this was another great lesson in art: Inspiration for design may be found anywhere.

In decent shape for a well read 32 year old book.

No comments:

Post a Comment