Sunday, September 16, 2012

006 Ceramic Mushroom Cookie Jar

So, I don't know what to call this, and I didn't know when it was from until my girlfriend just turned it over to show me the artist signature and date (FC '72 - see Detail 4). I wouldn't have thought to include this as a collectible, except a friend of mine who's into the kitsch stuff says this sort of ceramic ware is sought after, so I'm trusting her to know. I just liked the mushroom motif, which is why I kept it when presented with the remnants of my grandmother's hoard.


There's not much to say for this, really. It's in perfect shape; no chips, scratches, or anything like that (knock on wood). I mean, I guess I can see why it would be collectible, as this sort of ceramic stuff isn't really produced anymore, but I can also see why this sort of ceramic stuff isn't produced anymore. Thank goodness an ironic sense of taste is considered stylish.
Detail 1 - Lid handle is a 'shroom!


Doing a quick internet search came up with eBay listings for "sears mushroom cookie jar" that look like the same ceramic piece, but from 1976 or later, and with a different style of surface glaze/painting. A mystery! The prices for those pieces are also around $20-30, so I don't know if I'd consider this collectible, exactly, as that's what you might expect to pay for something like this new.

Detail 2 - More 'shrooms on the back


Detail 3 - Interior of jar and lid
That begs the question, though: What makes something collectible? Is it a dollar value, or is it sentimental? I'd always equated collectability with money, but I guess that's not really the case...like collecting sea shells or interesting looking rocks. The smartest thing to do, if you're just interested in making a hobby of it (not for profit margin), is to find something that costs little per piece, and for which nobody else in the world has any interest.
Detail 4 - Artist's initials and date

For $20 I'll keep this on my end table.

No comments:

Post a Comment