Saturday, September 8, 2012

001 Aphrodite A - アフロダイA

 A poster of Aphrodite A (or アフロダイA), from the show Mazinger Z (or Mazinga Z or マジンガーZ). This poster was purchased in The Philippines sometime between 1977 and 1979, and is still in surprisingly good condition. 

Aphrodite A poster - 1976?
Aphrodite A poster in frame, hanging just to the left of my bed.

Sayaka day dreams.
I've always disliked this poster, even as a child, yet it currently hangs over my bed. The artwork is competent at best, with an inconsistent and confusing use of thick and thin lines, questionable composition, and strokes of color that clearly display a talent yet to be developed. Though it was inspiring to know that I might eventually find paying work as an artist without fully developing my own skills. 



Balls of pizza dough.
 Also, I always wished this displayed the larger missile breasts, and although I've grown equally fond of all breast sizes as I've aged, my dissatisfaction with the poster continues, as the artist managed to misshape these metallic mammaries. They look like well-aimed balls of dough, sticky remnants of a giant robot food fight.



 
What's it worth? Who knows? To the best of my knowledge, this is a unique survivor of history for which there is no market.

UPDATE - 11/14/12: Sold for $100. 

No comments:

Post a Comment