Saturday, October 6, 2012

010 Millennium Falcon (1979)

I'm pretty sure I got this from Santa for Christmas in 1979 (though it may have been '80, post-Empire), after we'd been back in the U.S. for a few months.

 
This was easily one of my favorite toys, and it shows. Well played with, but 95% complete with no broken pieces. I seem to recall that it stopped making the electronic sounds pretty early into its career, but have never had any reason (other than this toy) to buy D batteries, so have never tested it to verify my memory. 
Otherwise, just a few dried up and missing stickers, and a missing light-saber-practice-sphere-and-stick (which I'm told is one of the more commonly missing pieces in this vintage toy). Also, they're not broken, but the pegs in the rear legs were never the best at keeping the legs as supportive stand (they're now augmented with some wads of paper--see the photo).
The plastic of the body's exterior is much more yellowed than is evident in the photos, but I think it's just enough to add to the sense of "dirty tech" that one might expect of a toy from the original Star Wars films. The interior floors could do with a little sponging, though; I'm pretty sure those stains are from my friends' kid playing with it when he visits. This goes for $50 to $120 or so on Ebay...so I've found it more worthwhile to keep as a display piece.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment